This tragic event occurred only only day after I went down the river - the difference of one day meant everything for our group. The day of the earthquake, I was rafting down another river - the Pacuare. We had no clue about the earthquake until we got in the bus afterward as the new unfolded on the radio - first a few people dead, then over 20 deaths and hundreds of people stranded. Once we got to our homestay for the night, we saw the news and could not believe our eyes - entire trees rushing down the river we had just been down only a day before.
All of this was happening as I was enjoying one of the most spectacular rivers of the world - the Pacuare River. Filled with intense rapids and unbelievable scenery, just to see the Pacuare is an amazing experience. We made our way down the river, enjoying the views of the dense rainforest that seemed to never end, where we finally met the rapid that has taken people's lives, Upper and Lower Juacas. Right before we were going to go down the notorious Upper and Lower Juacas rapids (in native tongue - upper and lower graveyards) we saw a sloth! The sloth was high up in a tree along the river, minding it's own business, chewing on some leaves - something I never thought I would see in nature. Our raft made it through the rapid without anyone falling out, the other rafts weren't so luck. No one got hurt and it was a really good ride.
The most amazing part of the Pacuare River is after you've made it past all of the rapids, you get to enjoy El Cayon de Dos MontaƱas. This section of the river is the most surreal section of this planet I have seen thus far. You jump out of your raft, lay on your back with the help of your life jacket, and leisurely cruise down river.

On both sides of the river, steep cliffs rise high above and the gentle sounds of the current and birds flying above make this section of the river almost euphoric. Nothing to worry about, nothing to come in your way, and plenty to see - this section really is the most amazing natural thing I have experienced. I don't know if it is the fact that at this point in the river you have survived just about all of the rapids, or because it is that naturally spectacular - El Cayon de Los Dos MontaƱas is incredible.
Our group went down the Pacure River two times - I managed to stay in the raft both times, nearly falling out several times. We stayed at a host family's house for two nights where the man of the house owned a sugar cane factory were he processed his sugar cane himself to sell to local markets. Very interesting to speak to someone who makes their living by selling sugar.
Thanks for starting this blog, Greg! Wonderful!
ReplyDelete